Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Bhutan 6 - Tiger's Nest

Today is the day the whole holiday was planned around – the hike to the Tiger’s Nest Monastery.

We woke at 6am to frost in the valley which looked really pretty.



And from our minibus saw just how far/high we had to climb



I was worrying back in England whether I was fit enough for the climb and had pretty much decided I would take the horse option to the cafeteria stage (approx. 1hr).  The only thing concerning me was Ian's unease of horses and also whether they could take our weight.

Ian had quite a strange conversation with Tenzing who firstly said he’d never had clients use the horses as they were dangerous and almost in the same breath suggested that Ian and I should definitely go by horse!!??!!  But with the chest infection and thin air neither of us felt confident of making the climb so we agreed and asked him to book.

I worried about it most of the night as from the horses I’d seen around there was nothing more than about 12hh and I knew Ian wouldn’t be happy (me neither regarding the weight aspect) and I also felt a little more confident that I could make it, so I persuaded Ian (didn’t take much) that we’d give it a go and take as many rest stops as we needed.

I'd read on the internet that it really wasn't worth taking pictures on the way up, as no matter what you think, the best view is from the viewing point.   Not sure I'll be able to resist though!

When we got there I was so pleased we’d made the decision, as you can see the ponies are very small indeed.  Just as we were setting off on foot a group of huge Germans rode by and they all looked absolutely terrified and sat rigidly.  I think the ponies would really have struggled up the mountain side as their centre of gravity would have been well off.


  

Anyway we set off and I was going OK but Ian was struggling a bit as his chest was very tight again, so we plodded up and got to the prayer wheels just before the cafeteria in 1 ½ hours.  


  

The others were waiting for us and had only been there about 10 mins so we were quite pleased.  Another hour saw us to the main viewpoint and we decided that was what we’d come to see and we were content not to go on to the monastery itself which involved 800 steps (200 down and 600 up and then the reverse obviously).  Also you’re not allowed to take anything in with you so no cameras, bags, phones etc, so I wouldn’t have been able to photograph anything, even the outside.  In actual fact we did go down about 150 steps so we had an upward view and I relied on my telephone lens to take a few closer shots.





I think Ian's beginning to get quite good at this photography lark.


The view back down the valley


We arranged to meet the others back at the cafeteria where we were going to have lunch and funnily enough it was the best lunch we’ve had the whole trip.  It was more Indian than Bhutanese and that suits my palette.

The walk down was as tough as expected, the uneven ground and in places slippery, dusty underfoot means you can’t stop concentrating for one second.  Our £4.99 walking poles really came into their own and helped relieve the pressure on the knees.  We only needed one each so were happy to lend Keith and Elma the other two.  





I don’t know how long it took us to walk down as we kept stopping for photos but we were both very tired at the end, although really exhilarated - this is where we'd been!!!!!!!!!


After our first hard climb our calves really ached the day after so we’ll see how we are tomorrow.  I think Tenzing’s subtle training really worked – bless him!